August 15

The wonderful Julia Child was born today! I am so enjoying her book My Life in France, written with her grand-nephew I believe.

This dear friend sure knows how to fill her days with joy!

The weekend we've been working 'at' for weeks is here, Heritage Days at the Wood County Historical Museum. A million things going on, lots for kids and grownups. I think our gardens look fine at this point, lots of hours going into getting those done! Many will be walking through both days. I'm going upstairs in a few minutes to gather my lovely picnic basket and tablecloth to put on a table there to make the garden look even more inviting; we have a tea tree to place at the other end with an open book with info on the teas we hold, my dear friend thought of this, we want visitors to think about returning anytime.

For lunch today I shall enjoy a pork-a-lean sandwich which my husband and I have always relished (from a longtime meat market where Mom and Dad used to buy their meat, Bellvilles; Grandma always got her chicken there to make chicken and noodles); and probably have to have a dish of homemade ice cream since I can't be down at my husband's uncle and aunt's when the family makes it regularly.

I hear the crew back at work on the roofing close by, they've stayed there till dark every day working on it. Such a job!!!! My husband's been a supervisor like his dad used to be at the tomato patch! But just from our windows, of course.

Must get going. It's going to be fun! AND the music that's playing I'll be able to enjoy, the huge tent is near the gardens. AND it's perfect sunny skies for these days, hot also we hear. But I have great sunscreen and a neat hat with wide brim, I'm all set to do no work, just play. Talking to lots of nice people. Sounds perfect!

My sister arrives this week from Hawaii; we'll have so much fun. Starting with helping me do tables for the tea. She'll be taking some good pictures I'm sure of the fashion show :). Then we'll work with another sister getting ready for a grand day at her house. Our theme is being silly! With silly games and such. I'm checking also about getting some face paint/makeup? for the kids to do each other's, we'll get pics of that if it happens for sure. Lots will be there. A grandson-in-law has agreed to coach the teams when we play chickenball with a rubber chicken :). I went to his son's game last night nearby, he's a great baseball player!


From a (slightly better known!) museum, The Smithsonian, from their http://eyelevel.si.edu/2007/11/hats-off-hands.html :

The luncheon suggestion for today from 365 Luncheon Dishes (from 1902) is Salade à la Russe, which they assemble with cooked chopped carrot, turnip, potato, celery, beet, plus olives, anchovies, and a dressing made with tarragon vinegar and oil. Hmm, if one were growing tarragon in one's summer garden, now might be a good time to start some homemade tarragon vinegar. Tarragon is ridiculous good for you and so unusually delicious.