September 9

A Good Place for me is definitely Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. My daughter and I stayed in a beautiful small hotel in a couple apartments, really -- sitting room, kitchen, a couple bedrooms. It was long ago and I can no longer find it -- if I do, of course I'll post it. Vancouver is relaxing, safe (we stayed in a gay and lesbian neighborhood which we adored, on a tree-lined street not far from Stanley Park and just a couple blocks from a major street with public transportation), great weather (not too hot nor sunny nor too cold in my experience), and breathtakingly beautiful with ocean and mountains. It's even got fabulous shopping and eating. We took a day trip to nearby still-snow-covered mountains with a friend -- an opera singer who drove up from her home in Seattle, Washington for a few days.


Leo Tolstoy was born today in 1828! I like his War and Peace, and other writings too...


The luncheon suggestion for today from 365 Luncheon Dishes (from 1902) is Maple Sugar Sandwiches! Surely for dessert, it's bread sprinkled with maple sugar and served with hot coffee! It would be marvelous for breakfast! And it's a perfect September dish, maybe for later in the month? after a trip to New England where you see sugar maples!!

Interesting -- the USA got its official name today in 1776.