July 4

What a day! Independence Day for my very favorite country in the world, where I enjoyed blissful freedom.
from Trader Joe's email flyer for 2011:

AND...

Henry David Thoreau started his stay at Walden Pond today in 1845. I love his Walden book, and enjoy practicing my disappearing! Latin and Greek with it.


Nathaniel Hawthorne was born today in 1804! I love his writings, though they can be a bit spooky.

Walt Whitman self-published Leaves of Grass today in 1855. I enjoy reading that; I love his style...Note to self: Add one of my favorites!

Today in 1862 Charles Lutwidge Dodgson told a story about a girl named Alice...and the Alice to whom he told it insisted he write it down, and voila, we have Alice in Wonderland!

James Joyce got married today in 1931, on his father's birthday.

Thomas Wolfe arrived today in New York in 1935 and was met by one of the hero-editors of all time, Maxwell Perkins. I very much enjoyed reading a biography of Perkins in the days I was just beginning my career as an editor...