June 6

I'm going to attempt presenting my own beautiful day, but I'm not as eloquent about these things as my friends! I might come back and edit this!

After a very long bout of minor illness I was finally able to get out of the house and go enjoy some amazing food! It's very hot here in India so I chose a sleeveless dress I found years ago in Vancouver, blue with tropical flowers, and paired it with an ivory cool cotton short-sleeved jacket. My face was surprised to get a bit of makeup onto it for the first time in months. Then I grabbed a blue hat and was ready! The driver had arrived and my husband as usual had checked what I was wearing and had pulled out one of his many polo shirts in a color to go with mine. We both were ready with our iPod for me, Dell Venue for him to let the world pass by outside without thinking too long about the awful bits! Then we arrived at the beautiful hotel in town that has for many many years consistently had the best food in their four restaurants; we were heading for their French restaurant, indoors and cool but set in a garden and with huge arched windows. We were a little early for lunch so went to their gift shop first, where I found a little cookbook for refreshing beverages and my husband found a National Geographic on barrier reefs and other stuff; I also found some great gifts including for my son....Then we went and ate...and ate. Dishes included perfect potatoes and green beans in a Salade Niçoise; the best gnocchi I've had since the VP's press secretary and his wife took me out to eat in DC except this gnocchi's sauce was even better! tomatoes and mushrooms and basil; and for dessert fresh perfect fruits in a coconut-milky sauce; and then almond shortbread cookies with hot tea. Our favorite waiter was even there! and we had a nice chat.

And the day wasn't over! When we got home we watched an hilarious episode of Psych, which I'm sure my dad would love -- cowboys! And then in the evening after like a tiny bowl of cereal for supper, since we were still stuffed, we Skyped an old New York writer-friend and talked about America with her for two hours! And then to bed, where I listened to some of a D.E. Stevenson novel. I have a wonderful husband and wonderful friends and we'd had a wonderful day!