May 22

Today Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born! In 1859. I love his Sherlock Holmes stories!

Mary Cassatt was born today too, in 1844. I love her paintings and loved filling my apartment with prints from her when my children were young, especially this one...


The luncheon suggestion for today from 365 Luncheon Dishes (from 1902) is an Asparagus Omelet.

This is my #1 dream ever -- to live here, to live like this! It's called Residensea, or maybe now it's called The World, and ever since I saw it advertised years ago in New York I wanted to live there. It's a beautiful ship traveling all over the world where you actually live year-round for the rest of your life if you'd like in one of its 165 homes, where like they say you can attend a brilliant lecture onboard, have some relaxation time, see a beautiful spot in the world off the ship, go to a world-class restaurant on or off the ship, and then on the same day "return to your own personal library and wine collection. You peruse your own photo albums. And listen to your favorite music as you rest your head on your own pillow, thinking about what the next day will bring." Each year the residents plan their next year's itinerary. Homes range from studios to 6-bedrooms, with gorgeous verandahs. You can read their descriptions and see their pictures at their website http://www.aboardtheworld.com/reside . They even have what they call Bali beds, where you can sleep out on your private verandah. This is so the first place I would purchase if I could! Even the studios look wonderful! (That's one in the first picture.) What I'd adore is if someone wrote a series of delicious novels set in such a ship traveling all over the world!